What can I take for congestion while pregnant?
Decongestant medications reduce stuffiness and sinus pressure by constricting the blood vessels in your nose, which reduces swelling. Pseudoephedrine and phenylephrine are available over the counter as Sudafed and are safe for many women to use during pregnancy.
Does mucinex cause birth defects?
Over-the-counter medicines, including phenylephrine and pseudoephedrine (which are commonly used in products like Afrin, Mucinex, Sudafed, Dristan, etc.) are linked to rare birth defects of the digestive tract, ear and heart.
Can mucinex cause miscarriage?
Miscarriage can occur in any pregnancy. Based on the data available, it is not known if guaifenesin increases the chance for miscarriage. Does taking guaifenesin increase the chance of birth defects? Every pregnancy starts out with a 3-5% chance of having a birth defect.
How do I unblock my sinuses while pregnant?
Home Remedies: How to Alleviate a Congestion Naturally
- Drink plenty of fluids such as water, broth, and citrus juice. …
- Use saline nasal irrigation or saline nose drops. …
- Use a humidifier at night. …
- Elevating your head with a couple of pillows while lying down may make breathing easier.
What class is mucinex in for pregnancy?
Guaifenesin is considered pregnancy category C.
Is it safe to take mucus relief while pregnant?
Robitussin DM is a cough remedy containing guaifenesin to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan, a medication to suppress coughing. Both ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy.
Can I take Mucinex cold and flu while pregnant?
Expectorants like Mucinex, cough suppressants like Robitussin, vapor rubs like Vicks VapoRub, and cough drops are all considered safe during pregnancy.
Why does Mucinex help you get pregnant?
The active ingredient in products like Mucinex (guaifenesin) may help you get pregnant by making your cervical fluid wetter and more slippery, which makes it easier for sperm to travel through your cervix to fertilize an egg.
How do you get rid of a dry cough when pregnant?
What Can I Take for a Cough While Pregnant?
- The use of humidifiers in the house can soothe the dry throat and relieve throat irritation.
- Drinking hot tea with honey, having hot soups or broths, and sipping warm water with a pinch of turmeric may help relieve cough and chest congestion in many women.