Diaper Rash Treatments
- Cream or ointment with zinc oxide or petrolatum (petroleum jelly). Smooth it onto your baby’s clean, dry bottom before putting on a clean diaper.
- Baby powder. …
- Antifungal cream, if your baby has a fungal infection.
- Topical or oral antibiotics, if your baby has a bacterial infection.
Soak your baby’s bottom in a combination of warm water and 2 tablespoons of baking soda 3 times a day. Apply an over-the-counter antifungal ointment like Lotrimin (with your pediatrician’s OK) to the rash if it’s yeast related.
How can I help my baby’s sore bum?
Here are some ways you can treat your baby’s sore bottom.
- Change your baby’s diaper often. Irritation from stool can contribute to the development of diaper rash. …
- Avoid wipes and soaps with fragrances or alcohol. …
- Let them air-dry. …
- Rinse your baby with warm water when changing. …
- Add a barrier cream.
How do you cure diaper rash fast?
Use diapers that are larger than usual until the rash goes away.
- Applying ointment, paste, cream or lotion. Various diaper rash medications are available without a prescription. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist for specific recommendations. …
- Bathing daily. Until the rash clears up, give your baby a bath each day.
What is the best home remedy for severe diaper rash?
7 home remedies for diaper rash
- Make your own diaper rash cream. Make your own natural diaper cream, such as the protective barrier balm found on the Mommypotamus blog. …
- Use breast milk. …
- Use apple cider vinegar. …
- Reach for olive oil. …
- Apply cornstarch. …
- Consider coconut oil. …
- Try browned flour.
How do you treat raw diaper rash?
Raw Skin – Treatment:
- If the bottom is very raw, soak in warm water for 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons (30 mL) of baking soda to the tub of warm water.
- Do this 3 times per day.
- Then, put an anti-yeast ointment (such as Lotrimin) on the rash.
What can I put on diaper rash with broken skin?
Protect the healthy skin near the rash with a cream such as Desitin, Diaparene, A&D Ointment, or zinc oxide. Do not apply the cream to broken skin, because it can slow the healing process. If you use a disposable product, fold the plastic area away from the body, and do not put the diaper on too tightly.
When should I take my baby to the doctor for a diaper rash?
Diaper Rash: When to Call the Doctor
If your child has open sores, raised red bumps, or blisters in the diaper area. If the skin is oozing or bleeding. If the rash spreads beyond the diaper area to the arms or face. If your baby develops a fever, which can indicate an infection.
What does a bacterial diaper rash look like?
With strep, the rash may be bright red and focused around the anus, though it can spread to the genitals. You may even notice blood in your baby’s poop. With staph, you might see pus-filled bumps with a red base. These blisters may rupture with a yellow-brown fluid and leave behind scales.
Is sudocrem good for sore bum?
The barrier creams commonly available for nappy rash may also sometimes be helpful to protect a sore area around the bottom at any age. Examples include Metanium® and Sudocrem®.